The African Flower Granny Square is a popular crochet pattern that creates a beautiful, multilayered flower-like motif. It’s a versatile and visually striking design that can be used for various crochet projects like blankets, pillows, bags, or even clothing. Below is a basic description of how to create an African Flower Granny Square:
- Yarn in your choice of colors
- Crochet hook appropriate for your yarn (typically recommended on the yarn label)
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Step 1: Begin with the Center
- Make a magic ring (also known as a magic circle). If you’re not familiar with this technique, you can find many tutorials online.
- Chain 3 (counts as your first double crochet) and then work 1 double crochet into the magic ring.
- Chain 2 (this creates the first corner), then work 2 more double crochets into the ring. This forms one of the corners.
- Chain 1, work 3 double crochets into the ring. Repeat this step two more times to create a total of three clusters of 3 double crochets with chain 1 spaces in between.
- To finish the center, slip stitch to the top of the initial chain 3. This completes your center hexagon.
Step 2: Create the Petals 6. Change color if desired by fastening off and joining a new color with a slip stitch in any chain-2 corner space.
- In the same corner space, chain 3 (counts as the first double crochet) and work 2 more double crochets. This creates the first corner of the petal.
- In the next chain-1 space between clusters, work 3 double crochets. Repeat this step three times for a total of four clusters of 3 double crochets.
- In the next corner space, work 3 double crochets, chain 2, 3 double crochets. This forms a corner of the next petal.
- Repeat steps 8-9 three more times, creating a total of six petals around your center hexagon.
Step 3: Finishing 11. Fasten off your yarn and weave in any loose ends using a yarn needle.
- To continue building the square, you can either make more African Flower motifs and join them together, or you can add traditional granny square rounds around this motif to achieve your desired size.
Remember that you can vary the size and appearance of your African Flower Granny Square by using different yarn weights, hook sizes, and color combinations. This pattern allows for a lot of creative flexibility, making it a favorite among crocheters. Enjoy your crochet project!