Creating a crochet basket weave dress can be a rewarding and stylish project. This intricate stitch pattern mimics the texture of woven baskets and lends a unique charm to the final dress. Below is a description of how to crochet a basket weave dress along with a basic pattern. Remember, crochet dress patterns can be complex, so it’s essential to have intermediate to advanced crochet skills before attempting this project.
- Worsted weight yarn in your desired color(s)
- Crochet hooks in sizes appropriate for your chosen yarn (usually H/5.0mm or I/5.5mm)
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Size: This pattern can be customized to fit various sizes. It’s recommended to take accurate measurements before starting and adjusting the stitch count accordingly.
Note: The bodice is worked from the top down in rounds.
- Foundation: Start with a chain that matches the circumference of the bust. Join to form a ring, being careful not to twist the chain. Alternatively, you can start with a magic ring.
- Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as a dc here and throughout), dc in each ch around. Join with a slip stitch to the top of the beginning ch-3. (This and subsequent rounds establish the base of the bodice.)
- Round 2: Ch 3, fpdc (front post double crochet) around the next dc, bpdc (back post double crochet) around the next dc. Repeat from * to * around. Join.
- Round 3-6: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 7-8: Ch 3, dc in each dc around.
- Round 9-10: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 11-12: Repeat Round 7.
- Round 13-14: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 15-16: Repeat Round 7.
- Round 17-18: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 19-20: Repeat Round 7.
- Round 21-22: Repeat Round 2.
Note: The skirt is worked from the bottom of the bodice downwards.
- Round 23: Ch 3, dc in the same st, dc in the next 3 sts, 2 dc in the next st. Repeat from * to * around. Join.
- Round 24: Ch 3, dc in each dc around. Join.
- Round 25-28: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 29-30: Ch 3, fpdc around the next dc, bpdc around the next dc. Repeat from * to * around. Join.
- Round 31-34: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 35-36: Ch 3, dc in each dc around. Join.
- Round 37-38: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 39-40: Repeat Round 2.
- Round 41-42: Ch 3, dc in each dc around. Join.
- Straps: To create straps, attach yarn at the desired placement on the bodice. Chain a length that will comfortably fit over the shoulders, skip a few stitches, and attach the chain on the opposite side. Repeat for the second strap.
- Edging: Work a round of sc or crab stitch around the armholes, neckline, and bottom hem for a polished look.
- Weave in Ends: Use a yarn needle to weave in any loose ends.
Remember, this pattern is a basic guideline for a basket weave dress. Feel free to customize the length, stitch count, and other details to suit your preferences. Always make a gauge swatch before starting to ensure that your dress will fit correctly. Happy crocheting!