Creating a crochet fox applique is a delightful and creative project that can add a charming touch to various items like blankets, clothing, bags, and more. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial along with a free pattern to guide you through the process:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Worsted weight yarn in orange, white, black, and a small amount of beige or light brown.
- Crochet hook appropriate for your chosen yarn (usually between US H/5mm to US G/4mm).
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends.
- ch: chain
- st: stitch
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
- Begin with orange yarn.
- Create a magic ring (adjustable ring).
- Round 1: Ch 1, work 6 sc into the ring, pull the ring tight, join with a sl st to the first sc. (6 sc)
- Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each st around, join with a sl st. (12 sc)
- Round 3: Ch 1, sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st, repeat * to * around, join with a sl st. (18 sc)
- Round 4: Ch 1, sc in the next 2 sts, 2 sc in the next st, repeat * to * around, join with a sl st. (24 sc)
- Rounds 5-8: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join with a sl st. (24 sc)
- Change to white yarn.
- Round 9: Ch 1, sc in each st around, join with a sl st. (24 sc)
- Fasten off and weave in the ends.
Ears (Make 2):
- With orange yarn, ch 4.
- Row 1: Starting in the second ch from hook, sc, hdc, dc, turn. (3)
- Row 2: Ch 1, dc in the first st, hdc in the next st, sc in the last st, turn. (3)
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in the first st, hdc in the next st, dc in the last st, fasten off leaving a tail for sewing.
- Attach the ears to the top of the head, positioning them slightly towards the sides.
- With black yarn, embroider eyes using French knots or small satin stitches.
- With beige/light brown yarn, embroider a small triangular shape for the nose.
- Optionally, you can add a tiny mouth using black yarn.
Your crochet fox applique is now complete! You can sew or attach it to your desired item, whether it’s a garment, accessory, or home decor. Remember that you can adjust the size of the applique by using thicker or thinner yarn and a corresponding crochet hook. Happy crocheting!