Crochet Granny Square Top Description: A crochet granny square top is a stylish and versatile garment that features the classic granny square motif as its main design element. It’s a popular choice among crocheters for its bohemian charm and the endless color combinations and customization possibilities it offers. This type of top is usually designed with a loose, breezy fit, making it perfect for layering over a camisole or a swimsuit, or even wearing it on its own for a casual and chic look. The granny squares can be arranged in various ways, such as as a grid pattern on the front and back, or as a gradual transition from larger to smaller squares.
Free Crochet Granny Square Top Pattern:
- Worsted weight yarn in your choice of colors
- Crochet hook appropriate for your yarn weight
- Yarn needle
- Start with a magic ring, or chain 4 and join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
- Round 1: Chain 3 (counts as the first double crochet), work 2 double crochets into the ring, chain 2, work 3 double crochets into the ring; repeat from * to * two more times, chain 2, join with a slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain 3. You should have four groups of 3 double crochets separated by chain-2 spaces.
- Round 2: Slip stitch to the next chain-2 space, chain 3, work 2 double crochets in the same space, chain 1, work 3 double crochets in the next chain-2 space, chain 2, work 3 double crochets in the same space; repeat from * to * two more times, chain 1, join with a slip stitch to the top of the beginning chain 3. You should have four chain-1 spaces on each side of the square.
- Rounds 3-5: Repeat Round 2, increasing the chain-1 spaces on each side by one in each round.
Make a total of 4 granny squares.
- Arrange the granny squares in the desired pattern for the front and back of the top.
- Seam the squares together using a whipstitch or any other preferred seaming technique. Leave openings for the armholes and the neckline.
Neckline and Armholes:
- Attach your yarn at one corner of the neckline.
- Work a round of single crochet stitches around the neckline, working 3 single crochets in each corner space.
- For the armholes, attach your yarn at the corner of the opening.
- Work a round of single crochet stitches around the armhole openings.
- Optionally, you can add additional rounds of single crochet stitches to create a thicker border for the neckline and armholes.
- Weave in any loose ends using a yarn needle.
- Block your finished top to ensure that the squares lay flat and the edges are even.
Remember that this is a basic pattern, and you can customize it by adjusting the size of the squares, choosing your color scheme, and adding your own personal touches. Enjoy creating your unique crochet granny square top!