The Crochet Summer Top is a lightweight and stylish garment perfect for warm weather. It’s designed to be loose-fitting and comfortable, making it a great choice for casual outings, beach trips, or even as a cover-up over swimwear. The top features an airy and open stitch pattern that provides breathability and a touch of elegance. The neckline and armholes are finished with a simple trim for a polished look. Whether you’re an experienced crocheter or just starting out, this top is a versatile addition to your summer wardrobe.
- Worsted weight cotton yarn in your chosen color(s)
- Crochet hook appropriate for your yarn weight (usually recommended on the yarn label)
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Size: The pattern is written for a standard adult size small/medium. Adjustments for larger sizes can be made by increasing the number of stitches and rows accordingly.
Note: This pattern uses US crochet terminology.
Front and Back Panels (Make 2):
- Foundation Chain: Chain 80.
- Row 1: Starting in the 2nd chain from the hook, single crochet (sc) in each chain across. Turn.
- Row 2: Chain 3 (counts as a double crochet), skip the first sc, double crochet in the next sc, chain 1, skip 1 sc – repeat this pattern across, ending with a double crochet in the last sc. Turn.
- Row 3: Chain 1, single crochet in the first double crochet, single crochet in the chain-1 space, skip the next double crochet – repeat this pattern across, ending with a single crochet in the turning chain. Turn.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until your piece measures the desired length from the shoulder to the underarm. End with a Row 3.
- With the right sides facing each other, lay the two panels on top of each other. Seam the sides together using single crochet stitches, leaving openings for armholes.
- Neckline Trim: Join yarn at one shoulder. Single crochet evenly around the neckline, working 2 single crochets in the corner stitches. Slip stitch to the first single crochet to join.
- Armhole Trim: Join yarn at the bottom of an armhole. Single crochet evenly around the armhole, working 2 single crochets in the corner stitches. Slip stitch to the first single crochet to join.
- Repeat for the second armhole.
Weave in any loose ends using a yarn needle. Block your finished top if desired to even out stitches and open up the pattern.
This Crochet Summer Top pattern is versatile and can be customized in various ways. You can experiment with different yarn colors, stitch patterns, or even add embellishments like beads or tassels for a unique touch. Enjoy wearing your handmade creation all summer long!