Transform your kitchen towels into functional and stylish accessories with this easy-to-follow crochet pattern for a towel topper. This project is perfect for both beginners and experienced crocheters looking to add a touch of handmade charm to their kitchen decor.
- Worsted weight cotton yarn in your favorite color (approximately 50-60 yards)
- Crochet hook (size G/4.0mm recommended)
- Yarn needle
- Kitchen towel (standard size)
Note: This pattern uses US crochet terminology.
- Ch: Chain
- Sc: Single crochet
- Dc: Double crochet
- Sl st: Slip stitch
- St(s): Stitch(es)
Step 1: Create the Towel Base
- Start by creating a foundation chain of 13 stitches (or as many as needed to fit your towel’s width).
- Row 1: Starting in the second ch from the hook, sc in each ch across. (12 sc)
- Rows 2-4: Ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across. (12 sc)
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Step 2: Create the Topper
- Attach your yarn to one corner of the towel base.
- Row 1: Ch 3 (counts as your first dc), sk 1 st, dc in the next st, ch 1 repeat across, ending with a dc in the last st. (6 dc, 5 ch-1 spaces)
- Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as your first dc), dc in the ch-1 space, ch 1 repeat across, ending with a dc in the top of the turning ch-3 from the previous row.
- Rows 3-5: Repeat Row 2.
- Fasten off and weave in any loose ends.
Step 3: Attach the Topper to the Towel Base
- Fold the towel topper in half lengthwise, aligning the edges.
- Thread your yarn needle with the long tail from the towel base. Insert the needle through the top of the first dc on the towel topper and through the corresponding stitch on the towel base.
- Continue sewing the topper to the base by working through both layers, matching up the stitches. Be sure to sew securely, so your topper can withstand regular use.
- Once you reach the end, secure the yarn and trim any excess.
Step 4: Finishing Touches
- Attach a hanging loop to one corner of your towel topper if desired. Simply make a chain of about 10-12 stitches and slip stitch it to the corner.
- Weave in any remaining loose ends.
- Attach your crochet towel topper to your kitchen towel by folding the towel over the topper and securing it with a button or snap for easy removal and washing.
Now, you have a beautiful and functional crochet topper for your kitchen towels. These toppers make great gifts and add a touch of handmade charm to any kitchen. Enjoy your crochet project!