Sure, here’s an easy crochet backpack pattern suitable for beginners:
Easy Crochet Backpack for Beginners – Free Pattern
- Worsted weight yarn in your choice of color(s)
- Crochet hook (size H/5mm recommended)
- Yarn needle
- Button or drawstring for closure (optional)
- Stitch markers (optional)
- Ch: Chain
- Sc: Single crochet
- Hdc: Half double crochet
- Dc: Double crochet
- Sl st: Slip stitch
- St(s): Stitch(es)
- Rep: Repeat
Finished Size: Approximately 12 inches in height and 10 inches in width, excluding straps.
Pattern: Note: This pattern is worked in the round without turning unless otherwise specified.
- Make a magic ring.
- Round 1: Ch 1, 10 hdc into the ring. Join with a sl st to the first hdc. (10 hdc)
- Round 2: Ch 1, 2 hdc in each st around. Join. (20 hdc)
- Round 3: Ch 1, 2 hdc in the first st, hdc in the next st. Rep from * to * around. Join. (30 hdc)
- Round 4: Ch 1, 2 hdc in the first st, hdc in the next 2 sts. Rep from * to * around. Join. (40 hdc)
Body: 6. Rounds 5-15: Ch 1, hdc in each st around. Join. (40 hdc)
- Round 16: Ch 1, hdc in the next 20 sts. This will create the opening for the backpack. Turn. (20 hdc)
- Row 17: Ch 1, hdc in each st across. Turn. (20 hdc)
- Rows 18-25: Repeat Row 17. At the end of Row 25, do not turn.
Flap: 10. Row 26: Ch 1, sc in the first st, ch 1, skip the next st, sc in the next st, ch 1, skip the next st, sc in the next st Repeat from * to * across. Turn. (10 sc, 10 ch-1 spaces)
- Row 27: Ch 1, sc in each sc and ch-1 space across. Turn. (20 sc)
- Rows 28-32: Repeat Row 27. At the end of Row 32, do not turn.
Straps: 13. Ch 1, sc in the first 10 sts. Ch 1, turn. (10 sc)
- Rows 33-60: Repeat Row 27. At the end of Row 60, fasten off and weave in ends.
- Fold the flap down over the body of the backpack.
- Attach a button to the body of the backpack, aligning it with the flap’s edge, or use a drawstring for closure.
- Attach straps to the top corners of the backpack.
- Weave in any remaining ends.
Remember, you can customize this pattern by using different colors, adding embellishments, or adjusting the size. Crocheting the straps longer or shorter is also an option based on your preference. Enjoy making your very own crochet backpack!