Description: The Large Braid Crochet Pumpkin is a charming and decorative item perfect for fall and Halloween-themed home decor. Its unique design features a textured “braid” pattern that runs vertically along the pumpkin’s surface, creating a visually appealing and tactile piece. The pumpkin is crocheted using warm and earthy-toned yarn, capturing the essence of the autumn season. Its size makes it a standout centerpiece for tables, mantles, or any corner that needs a cozy seasonal touch.
- Worsted weight yarn in orange (pumpkin color) and brown (stem color)
- Crochet hook appropriate for your chosen yarn weight
- Fiberfill or stuffing material
- Yarn needle for sewing and weaving in ends
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- hdc: half double crochet
- dc: double crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
- st(s): stitch(es)
Pattern: Note: The pumpkin is crocheted in the round without joining at the end of each round. Use a stitch marker to keep track of the first stitch in each round.
- Start with a magic ring (or ch 3 and join with a sl st to form a ring).
- Round 1: In the magic ring, ch 1, 6 sc. Pull the magic ring tight to close. (6 sc)
- Round 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 sc)
- Round 3: 1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next st around. (18 sc)
- Round 4: 1 sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st around. (24 sc)
- Round 5: 1 sc in next 3 sts, 2 sc in next st around. (30 sc)
- Rounds 6-10: 1 sc in each st around. (30 sc)
Begin the Braid Texture: 8. Rounds 11-20: Working in the back loops only, hdc in next st, dc in next st around. This creates the braid texture.
- Round 21: hdc in next st, dc in next st for the first 15 sts. Switch to working through both loops for the remaining stitches. This creates a smooth transition from the braid to the top of the pumpkin.
Shaping the Top: 10. Rounds 22-23: hdc in each st around. (30 hdc)
- Round 24: hdc in next 3 sts, hdc2tog around. (24 hdc)
- Round 25: hdc in next 2 sts, hdc2tog around. (18 hdc)
- Stuff the pumpkin with fiberfill.
Closing the Pumpkin: 14. Round 26: hdc in next st, hdc2tog around. (12 hdc)
- Round 27: hdc2tog around. (6 hdc)
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Use the tail to weave through the remaining stitches and pull tight to close the hole.
- Using brown yarn, make a slip knot and ch 5.
- Row 1: Starting from the 2nd ch from the hook, hdc in each ch. (4 hdc)
- Rows 2-6: Ch 1, turn, hdc in each st across. (4 hdc)
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Roll up the stem piece and sew it onto the center of the pumpkin’s top.
- Weave in any remaining yarn tails.
Your Large Braid Crochet Pumpkin is now complete! This pattern allows for customization in terms of yarn color, size, and even the length of the braid texture. Feel free to experiment and make this pumpkin uniquely yours. Happy crocheting!