Description: The Popcorn Stitch Crochet Pumpkin is a charming and textured decorative item perfect for autumn and Halloween. This crochet pattern incorporates the popcorn stitch, which adds a three-dimensional texture resembling the bumpy surface of a pumpkin. This pattern is suitable for intermediate crocheters who are familiar with basic crochet stitches.
- Worsted weight yarn in orange (pumpkin), green (stem), and brown (optional – for embellishment)
- Crochet hook appropriate for your chosen yarn weight (usually around H/5mm)
- Fiberfill or stuffing material
- Yarn needle for weaving in ends
- Pumpkin Body:
- Start with a magic ring or ch 4 and join to form a loop.
- Round 1: Work 6 sc into the magic ring or 2nd ch from hook. Join with a slip stitch. (6 stitches)
- Round 2: Ch 1, work 2 sc in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch. (12 stitches)
- Round 3: Ch 1, 2 sc in the first stitch, sc in the next stitch Repeat from * to * around. Join with a slip stitch. (18 stitches)
- Round 4: Ch 1, 2 sc in the first stitch, sc in the next 2 stitches Repeat from * to * around. Join with a slip stitch. (24 stitches)
- Round 5: Ch 1, 2 sc in the first stitch, sc in the next 3 stitches Repeat from * to * around. Join with a slip stitch. (30 stitches)
- Continue increasing in this manner until you have a circle large enough for the desired pumpkin size.
- Popcorn Stitch:
- For each popcorn stitch, work 5 double crochets (dc) into the same stitch.
- Remove the hook from the last stitch, insert it into the first dc of the group, and pull the last stitch through the first stitch to create a popcorn.
- Secure the popcorn with a slip stitch into the same stitch.
- Switch to green yarn.
- Attach the yarn to the top of the pumpkin.
- Chain 10-15 (or desired stem length), then slip stitch into the same stitch to form a loop.
- Secure and weave in ends.
- Leave a long tail of yarn, cut the yarn, and pull it through the loop to secure.
- Use a yarn needle to weave in any loose ends.
- Optional: Use brown yarn to embroider lines or a “C”-shape on the pumpkin’s body for added realism.
- Fill the pumpkin with fiberfill or stuffing material.
- Pull the yarn tail tightly to close the hole and secure.
Your Popcorn Stitch Crochet Pumpkin is now complete! This adorable textured pumpkin can be used as autumn decor, a centerpiece, or even part of your Halloween decorations. Feel free to adjust the size and color to suit your preferences. Happy crocheting!