Creating a crochet bulky heart plush pillow is a delightful and cozy project that’s perfect for both beginners and experienced crocheters. These soft and huggable pillows are great for adding a touch of warmth and charm to your home decor or as heartfelt gifts for loved ones. Below, you’ll find a free pattern description to get you started on making your very own crochet bulky heart plush pillow.
- Yarn: You’ll need a bulky weight yarn in your choice of color. This type of yarn gives your pillow a thick, plush texture. Choose colors that resonate with your personal style or match your home decor.
- Crochet Hook: Use an appropriate hook size for your chosen yarn. Typically, for bulky yarn, a 6.5mm (US K-10.5) crochet hook works well. Adjust the hook size if needed to achieve the desired gauge.
- Polyester Fiberfill: This will be used to stuff the pillow and give it its plush and huggable shape.
- Yarn Needle: For weaving in ends and sewing pieces together.
- Scissors: To cut yarn.
Gauge isn’t critical for this project, but it’s essential to maintain consistency throughout your work to ensure your pillow turns out the right size and shape.
Front and Back Panels (Make 2):
- Start with a magic ring or chain 4 and join to form a ring.
- Round 1: Work 8 single crochet (sc) into the ring. Join with a slip stitch to the first sc. (8 stitches)
- Round 2: Chain 1 (does not count as a stitch), 2 sc in each stitch around. Join with a slip stitch to the first sc. (16 stitches)
- Round 3: Chain 1, 1 sc in the next stitch, 2 sc in the next stitch – Repeat * to * around. Join with a slip stitch to the first sc. (24 stitches)
- Round 4: Chain 1, 1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, 2 sc in the next stitch – Repeat * to * around. Join with a slip stitch to the first sc. (32 stitches)
- Continue increasing in this pattern, adding an extra sc between increases on each round, until your circle is large enough for the heart shape you desire. Make sure both panels are the same size.
- Once you reach the desired size, fasten off and weave in ends.
- On one of the panels, use a contrasting yarn color to create the heart shape. This can be done using surface slip stitches, embroidery, or even sewing on a heart-shaped appliqué.
- Ensure your heart is centered and securely attached.
- Place the two panels with the right sides facing each other.
- Join the edges using single crochet stitches, leaving a small opening for stuffing.
- Stuff the pillow with polyester fiberfill until it’s as plump as you like.
- Close the opening by continuing to single crochet around the edge until the pillow is completely sealed.
- Fasten off and weave in any remaining ends.
Your crochet bulky heart plush pillow is now complete! It’s ready to add a touch of warmth and love to your living space or to be given as a thoughtful, handmade gift to someone special. Enjoy your cozy creation!