Creating a crochet snake can be a fun and creative project! Here’s a basic free pattern and description to help you crochet a full-sized snake:
Crochet Full-Sized Snake Pattern
- Worsted weight yarn in your desired snake color(s)
- Crochet hook appropriate for your chosen yarn (usually between 4.5mm to 6.5mm)
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Safety eyes or embroidery thread for the eyes
- Yarn needle
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- inc: increase (2 single crochets in the same stitch)
- dec: decrease (single crochet 2 stitches together)
- sl st: slip stitch
Snake Body: Start with the tail and work your way up to the head.
- Make a magic ring (adjustable loop).
- Round 1: 6 sc into the magic ring. Pull tight to close. (6 stitches)
- Round 2: 1 sc in each stitch around. (6 stitches)
- Round 3: 1 sc, inc around. (9 stitches)
- Rounds 4-15: 1 sc in each stitch around. (9 stitches in each round)
Body: Continue working in rounds.
- Rounds 16-40: 1 sc in each stitch around. (9 stitches in each round)
- Stuff the snake body firmly as you go.
- If you want to create a striped pattern, you can change colors at any point by finishing the last stitch of a round in the new color.
- Rounds 41-42: 1 sc in each stitch around. (9 stitches in each round)
- Round 43: 1 sc, dec around. (6 stitches)
- Round 44: Dec around. (3 stitches)
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Thread the yarn tail through a yarn needle and weave it through the stitches of Round 44. Pull tight to close the head.
- Attach safety eyes or embroider the eyes using black or contrasting yarn.
- Stuff the head firmly.
- Use the yarn tail to sew the head securely to the body.
Congratulations, you’ve now crocheted a full-sized snake! Feel free to customize your snake’s appearance by choosing different colors, adding embellishments, or adjusting the length and thickness of the body.
Remember, this is a basic pattern, and you can get as creative as you like by adding additional details, such as a forked tongue, scales, or even different stitch patterns. Enjoy your crocheting journey!