The fast shell stitch is a lovely textured pattern that works up quickly and is perfect for crochet dishcloths. Here’s a free pattern for a fast shell stitch dishcloth:
- Worsted weight cotton yarn in your preferred color
- Crochet hook suitable for your yarn (usually 4.0mm to 5.5mm)
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
- st(s): stitch(es)
- Foundation Chain: Chain a multiple of 6 stitches plus 2. For example, you can chain 26 for a dishcloth that’s approximately 8 inches (20 cm) wide.
- Row 1: Starting in the second chain from the hook, sc in each chain across. (25 sc)
- Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as the first dc here and throughout), turn. Skip the first st, dc in the next st, skip 2 sts, 5 dc in the next st (shell made). Repeat * to * across the row, ending with a dc in the last st.
- Row 3: Ch 1, turn. Sc in the first st, ch 2, skip 2 dc, sc in the next dc (the center dc of the shell), ch 2, skip 2 dc, sc in the next dc (top of the shell). Repeat * to * across the row, ending with a sc in the top of the turning ch-3.
- Repeat Rows 2 and 3: Continue repeating Rows 2 and 3 until your dishcloth is the desired length. Make sure to end with Row 3.
- Finishing: Fasten off, weave in any loose ends, and trim excess yarn.
Your fast shell stitch dishcloth is now complete! This textured stitch pattern is excellent for scrubbing dishes and cleaning surfaces. You can make multiple dishcloths in different colors to brighten up your kitchen or to give as thoughtful handmade gifts. Enjoy your crocheting!